Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2013

REVIEW: Blood and Mistletoe by E.J. Stevens

Overall Rating - 4.9/5
Here is my breakdown:

Characters: 5/5  I love the characters in the Ivy Granger series:  each has an important role to play in each story, from the main players of Ivy, Kaye, and Ceff to the "bit players" of Hob, Jinx, and Marvin the bridge troll. I wanted to know more about them from the first book, and this novella did not disappoint.

Storyline/Plot:  5/5 As a novella, this story was shorter than I am used to reading, but you wouldn't know it by what happened.  Filled with exciting action and the compelling tastes of mystery flavored with the spice of folklore given Stevens' signature twist, the plotline kept me reading until the end and made me immediately wish for more to read.

Language/Flow:  5/5  As always, this is more a "did it bother me" category, and it did not.  I enjoy Stevens' use of language and the references to various mythologies.  As a student of mythology it tickles me whenever an author uses the creatures and myths appropriately, and Stevens did just that.

Spelling/Grammar: 4.9/5.  Way better than necessary to keep me involved.  I have read many books wherein the author/copyeditor had fallen down on the job in the grammar or spelling department, and the few errors I found in this story were not enough to disrupt my enjoyment of the story.

Overall:  It is important to understand the background of Ivy Granger before stepping into this story; although Stevens does a good job of providing background information within the novella, it is a shorter work and there is not a whole lot of room for that.  If you like paranormal fiction splashed with a bit of romance you will enjoy Blood and Mistletoe. 

Pick it up today!

Jason P. Crawford
www.jasonpatrickcrawford.com
@jnewmanwriting
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/322350

No comments:

Post a Comment