Search This Blog

Thursday, October 28, 2021

The Turquoise Spider - Female Steampunk Holmes with Great Character Development! 4/5

Today, I am reviewing the Steampunk story The Turquoise Spider by Mikala Ash. The first in a series of short works (this one is about 100 Kindle pages), The Turquoise Spider stars recently-widowed Elizabeth Hunter-Payne through a classic English Steampunk setting as she solves mysteries and confronts opposition. There is sexual content in this book, which is explicitly called out at the beginning of the work, though to be clear it is NOT an erotic story. It has a plot, a throughline, and the intimacy and sexual content is there to enrich the writing, not be the focus of it. I had a good time in Ash's world, though there was something about it that lowered my enjoyment and I can't, for the life of me, put my finger on it.

Maybe reviewing will help.


 I give this book a 4/5. Here is my breakdown.


Characters: 5/5. This is definitely the biggest strength of the work. Ash introduces us to a few important characters and gives them life within a short amount of time. Elizabeth feels real, but my favorite was easily the assistant/bodyguard of Archie. I loved that guy. The antagonists have realistic (for a steampunk book) motivations and no one acts in an unexplainable way.


Plot/Storyline: 4/5. A classic Holmesian mystery. Much like Conan Doyle's Holmes stories, the reader is left a little bit in the dark by the revelations that the main character comes up with later, but still left in appreciation of their superior perceptive talents. The storyline was clean and concise, made sense, and didn't have any gaping holes or contradictions.


Flow: 4.5/5. This is a short book so it goes from point to point quickly, without a lot of time to linger. This is fine; I respect the pacing the author has set and enjoy it. As mentioned before, there is still enough time to get to know our main characters and identify with them, and the plot beats move well. I didn't feel bored or like I needed to put it down. I read the whole thing in the space of about an hour.


Spelling/Grammar: 4/5. There were a few typographical errors, but nothing of consequence. The book was polished and the English used pleasant and expertly crafted. Nothing took me out of the story, which is what I want.

As I said above, I don't know what it was, but while I enjoyed what I read and the characters, I didn't come away from the story wanting to read the next one. That being the case, if you enjoy this type of work (and don't mind a little spicy sexual content!) then I recommend you pick it up. You can find the link below. I make no money off of these links.

Thanks as always, and keep reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment