Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

After Halastaesia - A deeply thrilling YA story with characters you'll care about long after the story is done: 4.75/5.

     Today, I am reviewing the YA portal-fantasy novel After Halastaesia by Janina Franck. Our protagonist, Ben, is a former chosen hero who fell into the magical land of Halastaesia after being hit by a truck in our world. After being sent back, he has to adjust to the fact that he's no longer a mystical Chosen One, reconcile his former love with the girl who is drawing his attention now, and come to terms with the idea that, perhaps, none of it ever happened. 

I give this book a 4.75/5. Here is my breakdown.

Characters: 5/5. Franck really seats us in our main character's mind. We get a real sense of how Ben feels about his situation, dealing with his former life in Halastaesia and the mundanity of now. The supporting characters, especially Viv, are also treats, written effectively and well. I am also pleased by how Ben handled the "love triangle;" it's exactly what I hoped would happen.

Plot/Storyline: 4.5/5. I'm a big fan of portal fantasies, but this one took the reverse tack; in the entire book, we never get to see Halastaesia, and Franck allows us to believe, several times, that it might not be real at all. There is an element of unreliable narrator that adds spice to the story and makes it unique. I was intrigued and hooked the whole way through.

Flow: 5/5. I have rarely read a book that flows as well as this one does. Franck has put together a story that has the pauses and the beats in all the right places, ramping up the tension just like a good movie would and letting it hang when needed. I read through the whole thing in an hour and a half, and that's fast even for me.

Spelling/Grammar: 5/5. This is a well-edited piece of work. I didn't notice any grammar or spelling concerns. The sentences worked well together. Pretty flawless.

Overall: 4.75/5. Unlike some other readers I know, I am still a fan of YA fiction. This kind of book is why. When it's well-written, the emotions and characters put on the page rival anything made for a specifically older audience. The themes and motifs of the book come through in riveting, emphatic fashion. I had a great time with After Halastaesia, and would definitely read more work by Franck.

Find After Halastasia on Books2Read. 

If you liked my review, check out my books over at my main site: www.jasonpatrickcrawford.com/bookstore.html

Thanks as always, and keep reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment