Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2016

The Keeper and the Rulership by Emily Martha Sorensen - engaging, a lot of fun, and a worthwhile read!

Today, I am reviewing the Fantasy story The Keeper and the Rulership by Emily Martha Sorensen. While this is definitely a YA (Young Adult, for our newcomers) style book, I enjoyed its in-depth character development and plot very much.

In this book, we follow the adventures of the young woman, Raneh, as she learns why she has magic and comes to terms with her destiny. This is a very solid YA fantasy, with enjoyable characters, that stays away from the most onerous of tropes.

I give this book a 4/5. Here is my breakdown.

 Characters: 4/5. Sorensen does a great job in establishing the characters and their motivations. Each is sufficiently distinct from the others and has obvious motivations that make sense. Their interactions are fun and they fit well within the world that she’s established. I enjoyed spending time with them; their behaviors were consistent and well-reasoned, with little of the “random” things that characters can do because of “plot necessity.”

 Plot/Storyline: 4/5. A fun story that, while it doesn’t leave profound, lasting marks on my soul, was a very worthy use of my time. I thoroughly enjoyed the time I spent in Raneh’s world, walking beside her as she came to her realizations and made her decisions. The development of the world was well-done, and felt very real to me. My only concern with the storyline is the ending. The ending itself was fine, but it felt abbreviated, like it came too soon after the climax of the story with insufficient denouement. I would have liked more wrap-up.

Technical Aspects: 4/5. The story moved quickly and was a treat to read. I had a good time and didn’t trip up over choppy sentences, poor dialogue, or exposition. A well-constructed book that allowed me to access the story.

Spelling/Grammar: 4.5/5. There were a few, very few, typos in this book. Well done!

 Overall: 4/5. This is a very solid book, clean, fun, and well-crafted. I enjoyed it very much and want to read more from Sorensen. She is very talented and I look forward to seeing more of her work. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment