Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Kill It With Magic by J.A. Cipriano: Fast-Paced, Frenetic, Exciting...Overwhelming? Maybe. 3.5/5


Today, I am reviewing the Paranormal/Urban Fantasy story Kill It With Magic by J.A. Cipriano. The first in the Lillim Callina Chronicles, we’re exposed to a world of magic, vampires, ghosts, and dragons all fighting for control of the world. Our protagonist, Lillim herself, is the reincarnation of a famous monster-hunter and is constantly being judged by her former life.

I give this book a 3.5/5. Here is my breakdown.

Characters: 4/5. Kill It With Magic introduces a rather large cast of characters very quickly, but Cipriano does a good job of helping us keep them all straight. The relationships are interesting, and Lillim’s issues with being judged as Dirge, her former incarnation, seem realistic, even though everyone around her denies that it’s true. My only issue with Lillim is that, in some ways, she doesn’t seem like much of a protagonist. I got to the end of the book and I wasn’t entirely sure what it was she had actually done to resolve anything.

Plot/Storyline: 3.5/5. Classic “save the world,” with a developed world and high stakes. It was solid and enjoyable. There was so much, though, that I lost track of it all. I was never entirely sure of the rules of magic in Cipriano’s world. Was there a limit? Was it elementally-based? Why did using Frost threaten to waken a dragon? Why wouldn’t Bob just die? I don’t know.

Flow: 3/5. I’ve been accused of writing action-filled novels, but Kill It With Magic leaves me in the dust. The characters have no chance to rest, and each and every time it looks like things are improving for Lillim she’s tossed back in. Normally, this would be fine, meriting at least a 4 if done well; my problem with it is the “red-herring” aspect. No spoilers, but suffice to say that there are many times where what you think is happening is not what is happening.

Spelling/Grammar: 5/5. I didn’t notice any typos or grammar issues within this book while I read it.

Overall: 3.5/5. This book is good. It’s solid and the story is interesting. The flow issues, the frenetic pacing, and the red herrings left me scratching my head at times, but don’t let that keep you from checking this book out!





No comments:

Post a Comment