Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Through the Gloom by Jennifer R. McDonald - 4.75/5

Today, I am reviewing the Paranormal story Through the Gloom by Jennifer R. McDonald. This is the sequel to Into the Veil, continuing the story of the veilwalkers Lyric and Lincoln, their father and mage Jacken, and the Hathors, a family of conjurors who can summon objects from afar and who are fiercely loyal to one another. If you haven’t read the first in the series, check out my review on that, then go read it!

I give this book a 4.75/5. Here is my breakdown.

Characters: 5/5. As in the last book, Jennifer explores her characters thoroughly and well. I enjoyed the changes that Lyric went through, her doubts and absolute dedication to finding out the truth about her mother’s death. Her relationship with conjuror Aiden Hathor made me want to bang my head against the wall…but only because it was so clear that the two of them are perfect for each other in every way, yet each trying to be overly noble to “protect” the other.

I’m also very curious about Gemma now.

Plot/Storyline: 5/5. Compelling. Consistent. Lyric’s saga takes a darker turn as betrayal upon betrayal, some hers and some not, begin to take their toll. Her relationships with others become strained, but she presses on, determined to find the truth. I believed every step of this story and was never pulled out of my immersion. The magics presented make sense in the context of the world, and I was never confused by any of it. Well done, Jennifer!

Flow: 5/5. Onward, ever onward, with the perfect balance of slowdown and action. Tension was thick throughout this novel, and I often felt like I was trapped in the fog of the veil, unable to see what was coming next, my heart tripping as I waited for the next development.

Spelling/Grammar: 4/5. Better this time. Jennifer has made significant improvements in her structure and grammar since the last book. In fact, I have it on good authority that she’s gone back to Into the Veil and fixed up some of the things I mentioned last time. A much smoother read.

Overall: 4.75/5. Fantastic. Outstanding. Thrilling. Jennifer spins a tale of betrayal, deceit, innocence lost and love to be fought for. Gloom is even better than its predecessor. I will be purchasing the third book, Across the Blood Red River, as soon as my TBR list winnows down a bit. Jennifer is one of my favorite authors now, and her work is exemplary!


No comments:

Post a Comment