Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2016

Capering on Glass Bridges by Jessica Hernandez - A very promising first installment and a great Fantasy read!

Today, I am reviewing the YA Fantasy story Capering on Glass Bridges by Jessica Hernandez. Telling the story of Kaia Stone, a young woman who has grown up differently than the others she knows, the book describes how the Utdrendans send her and others into the cursed kingdom of Mar, with knowledge from years ago that may undo their horrific doom.

I give this book a 4/5. Here is my breakdown.

Characters: 5/5. I enjoyed these characters very much. Hernandez did a fantastic job in creating an interesting interplay between the various members of Kaia’s party. Their back-and-forths were fun and credible, and their griefs and sorrows equally so.

Plot/Storyline: 4/5. A very solid fantasy adventure story. I think that Hernandez did a good job making her fantasy world interesting (a coming-of-age ceremony in which people are bonded to a homunculus-type being, for instance, and the magical power of Speaking). The effort is apparent, and she does it justice.

Flow/Construction: 4/5. I have no complaints here. The story moved quickly and easily. I can’t recall feeling like the scenes were dragging or slowed down. Again, a solid performance here. 

Spelling/Grammar: 4.5/5. Very insignificant, minor mistakes occasionally found. Nothing problematic or unusual.

 Overall: 4/5. Jessica Hernandez shows her talent in this book. I’m not sure if it’s her first book (but I think it is), and if so then she can only improve from here. I really hope there’s more to come!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment